- 24hr. Next Day UK delivery
- Nationwide distributor of power cable accessories
- Supplying the trade for over 30 years
Monthly Archives: July 2014
What are the advantages or differences between using mechanical connectors over the traditional crimp connector system?
Crimp connectors have been popular for many years, but mechanical connectors with bolt heads, which shear off once a certain torque, are becoming universally acceptable.
The advantages a modern mechanical connector has over crimp connectors are:
- They are range taking.
- They do not require the additional expense of crimping systems.
- Eliminates the chance of the jointer using an incorrect die set.
- No sharp edges, which may be caused when using hexagonal die-sets.
However, there are 3 distinct disadvantages to using connectors with shear-bolt technology:
- Mechanical terminals can be considered more expensive than traditional crimp systems, especially if the end user is fully tooled up for crimping.
- It has a larger profile than its crimp connector equivalent, therefore all systems may not be easily installed. Especially push-on types.
- The cross-section may not always be symmetrical, which can make treatment over the connector area more critical.
These pro's and con's need to be considered when deciding on choosing a mechanical or crimp connector system. Contact our sales team for more information on the best lug types for your application and to find out more about our range of cable connectors and terminals.
If you found this article helpful or interesting, please share it!
SPECIALIST DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER CABLE ACCESSORIES
CABLE LUGS & CONNECTORS
CABLE JOINTING AND TERMINATING
HYDRAULIC CRIMPING AND CUTTING TOOLS
HIGH VOLTAGE CABLE ACCESSORIES
CABLE PULLING AND INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT
EARTHING AND LIGHTNING PROTECTION
STREET LIGHTING & HOUSE SERVICE CUT-OUTS
BRASS AND ALUMINIUM CABLE GLANDS
CABLE LADDER & UNISTRUT
SCREENED SEPARABLE CONNECTORS
ETS (Portsmouth) Limited (trading as ETS Cable Components) was incorporated in 1988, when the company was based in Hilsea, Portsmouth. The original objective was to set up a business dedicated to providing excellent levels of stock and service for a defined range of power cable accessories.
Many companies supplied the cable, but there was a gap in the market for a product-focused distributor of our type. In 1991 we opened our London branch and soon became the leading supplier to the South East Contracting and Utility markets.
Seven years later we moved to our purpose-built premises in Tolworth, which became our head office and Main Distribution Centre.
As we supply products all over the UK, in 2009 we opened our Midlands office in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Our Midlands office later moved in 2014 to Rugeley, Staffordshire.
Based here our Sales Engineers who work with clients on major projects throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe.
The company’s policy has always been to provide quality products and service on a continuous basis. In 2003 we implemented a full Q.A. programme to ensure the ongoing effectiveness of our policy. Our ISO 9001:2008 certificate and policy statement are available for download.
ETS Portsmouth Limited, trading as ETS Cable Components
Barwell Business Park, Unit 43, Leatherhead Rd, Chessington KT9 2NY
Registered in England & Wales: 2280171
VAT No: 503 8392 53